Saturday

A happy hiatus

I've been awful. I haven't written. It's been over a year - maybe two. My bad. I've just been coasting, coasting from the Southern hemisphere to the Northern hemisphere. I've been putting together pieces, and building solid foundations (I hope!) Getting employed so I can pay off the colossal student debt I accumulated in the land down under. So just what has happened? Why the long pause in my online chronicle of heartaches?

I guess mostly it has to do with the fact that my heart doesn't ache. It's no longer under attack. I'm peril-free (at least when it comes to love). I've fallen into a blissful, happy and (dare I say) healthy relationship full of mutual respect, love and devotion. We even shacked up. We have a cat. We are situated in a swanky neighbourhood in the city - just east of the downtown core. To me, our life is beautiful. We are part of a food co-op where we get local organic food. We watch movies, nature documentaries and catch up with friends (or wallow away our weekly "trials and tribulations" over drinks at our local pub). We sit on the roof top of our building contemplating equality, human rights, the Middle East, what to have for dinner - all while taking in the breathtaking Toronto cityscape. We argue about the implications of wearing a headscarf in the taxi cab on the way home from our friends wedding.

Yes, there have been hard times to get here. Many months of separation, many moments of doubt (mostly mine), much longing and countless tearful telephone farewells (with a sprinkle of some airport partings). It wasn't easy. It was hard work to get here. And it took a lot. More trust than I knew I had in me, and definitely more patience. It was so worth it. For all my hopeless dreaming (and scheming) to make "true love" a part of my life - for so long it even seemed like my reason d'etre, so passionately consuming - I never realized how easy it can be to have, well, everything I ever wanted in a partner.

Yes, I am intoxicated with love. Which is a good reason why "Heart Attack! The Perils of Dating" is a horrible title for this blog, if I am to continue on writing it. I'm not entirely sure what I am going to do with this blog. Maybe I should consult my partner-in-crime, my confidante, my sweet love - my kiwi

No comments: