Monday

Trick or treat?

Even though I got home at 5 a.m., and sleep and I have yet to meet, I still feel good about being a little bad on Saturday night. I arrived at a friends house to celebrate a milestone with one of my best friends and her boyfriend. His friends filled their small living room, most of whose acquaintance I'd already met.

Including, "business boy", a curious character who I met at my friend's birthday last year. At the time it seemed like we didn't get on at all. If I ever felt colourless in my whole life, it was upon meeting "business boy." I actually felt gray, dull. It was as if I couldn't say anything interesting, not one thing. This unnerved me, as did seeing he was a part of the evening's festivities.

I tried to make the best of things when I found myself seated next to him in the cab to our first location, the Hideout. So, when he reproached me with a warm cattiness, I was puzzled. I continued to be puzzled as his niceties followed me around the bar and his arm slipped around my waist to steer me away from the ghosts and goblins out celebrating an early Hallowe'en.

"What's between you and 'business boy'?" a friend asks me as we stock up on another vodka pineapple. My best friend gives me a knowing glance. "Oh, it's nothing," I say. My best friend's buying the round of drinks, but she's not buying the story, everyone was watching business boy's flirty engagement of my attention intently. Before we left he was trying to entreat me to sit on his lap.

We return and nothing has changed, including his knack for making me laugh and for coercing a rolled eye or two at his silly comments. We make to leave for our second stop, Easy on the 5th, but to our trepidation the line is not moving and it's freezing out. Luckily for me business boy has me nestled in his much loved jacket and is actively seeking to keep me warm, in his very cheeky, nearly inappropriate ways.

When we finally make our way inside, we head to the bar where he buys me a drink and convinces me to take a tour of our new destination. We make our way across the crowded bar, filled with 70% costumed patrons, and others like us, dressed for any other night. Before I've realized that we've lost our party, I find myself looking into business boy's eyes. It isn't long until I feel his lips on the nape of my neck. I abandon myself to the moment and to the magnetism drawing me toward this guy whose been making me laugh all night at his attempts to capture my attention. We kiss and I'm captivated.

But whether this night will prove to be a trick or a treat, I guess I'll have to wait until Hallowe'en to find out.

No comments: