Tuesday

After a year between

After several false starts, I finally find myself face to face with my London boy.

As he turns and catches my eye for the first time in year, brimming over with a smile he opens his arms, and I fall into them.

It seems like it isn't happening, it seems too good to be true; to finally be around him after this long year apart. Yet, here we are, reaching for an embrace amongst the bustling Union Station crowd. He reaches out for another hug and for a moment, the world disappears, the crowd fades away, and the only thing that exists our perfectly blissful reunion.

Moments later I am presented with a multiple choice date: (a) watch the Jays Game, (b) go to the Clothing Show or (c) see the Chinese Lantern Festival. For those who know me, my choice would seem fairly obvious, but in all honesty, I was just happy to be arm in arm with my London boy, in the city I love.

After missing so much, after all the space, the change, the months, we seemed to easily fall back on our cheery, chatty ways. In the same way that he reached out his hand to me, as we ran across changing traffic lights, I felt like we were finally closing the gulf between us. We talked of many things on our long walk, about jobs, what was happening in the world, politics, our families, how things seem to change, our ideas of the future, preferential voting, the blue, blue sky, and never once thinking of the many kilometers we tread along the way back to each other's lives.

Between glass blowing, games, ice cream, lanterns and mazes, I found myself grabbing his hand, as he reached out to me as we crossed the rocks at the shore. Sitting upon one, looking out at the sailboats, the Toronto Island and the horizon, it was as if there was never an ocean between us. It was really as if I never missed him at all, because as he looked into my eyes, I realized he was finally, right there.

No comments: